Saturday, November 21, 2009

Salem, at last!




I traveled 1000 miles to the Northeast and spent my 37th birthday in Salem, MA. I have wanted to go to Salem ever since I saw the Bewitched episode when Samantha, Dum Dum, and Endora went; that bed warmer that followed Samantha because it was really a warlock under a spell -cast by Serena of course, really stuck in my head.

The desire was cemented when Hocus Pocus came out in 1993. I just knew Salem would seem to be tailor made for little ol' me, if I could ever just get there! In my fertile imagination, I have made up alternative identities for myself in which I live in Salem, have a shop selling my magickal crafty wares and live above the shop. I have decorated the shop and my loft above it in my head many many times. I actually found the EXACT place I had been imagining while I was there. It carried a different name than the one in my head, but there it was!

It was very important to me to take this trip all by myself. I just wanted to be ME for those 5 days. Yes, I talked and texted those I love, but my time was my own. I slept when I wanted, ate when and what I wanted, strolled where I wanted and sat on park benches in the Salem Common listening to my iPod and stitching on a Celtic Knot when I wanted. It was absolute bliss.

8 comments:

Alex Pendragon said...

I envy your pilgrimage to what many of us would consider our "Mecca". I am glad to know a person in this world who would find such value in detaching themselves from the world at large to simply BE somewhere such as Salem, with all that comes with that.

It's reading posts like these that connect me to my fellow..........lady..........smile.........

Ohjeeze said...

Sounds like it for sure, bliss. I do miss reading your posts. I'm on Facebook now. I have the link on my blog page if you ever get the urge to read me again.

Gregory said...

We're going to Ireland together, JSYK.

Debbi said...

How beautiful! I'm so glad you went! I remember that betwitched ep. lol.

marthaberry said...

sounds wonderful! I drove through once and saw the witch house from a distance.

I was taken with finding Marymount, the scene of forbidden maypoling in Puritan times. We found it, there was just a sign to commemorate the spot.

Plymouth was also amazing, it was hard to believe that people actually lived through a winter in the tiny village. It was so cold!

Susanna said...

wow wow!!!!awesome!!!!!!!!

I especially love your portrait! your such a
witchy woman!!

jopes said...

lindo conjunto parabens jo

katia denisse lopez padilla said...

hola